Wednesday, March 23, 2011

WiP...and giving speeches with translators

Yesterday I did something I've never done before. I gave a speech with my husband. I've given a few talks in the past, but never with my husband. Also, I've never needed to use a translator. My audience in the past has only been English speakers, so translators were never needed before. Yesterday's talk was with a handful of English speakers, but mainly Chinese speakers. I had a translator.  We talked about what God has taught us through Jie Jie's special needs. How he challenges us with our disappointments in life to look at those down points through His eyes and not our own.
Our speech wasn't perfect. It wasn't all that smooth. But, it was fun. More fun than I had expected.
I don't really like being in front of people. I actually thought I had an allergic reaction to microphones.  But, that was all mental allergic. Not reality. Nerves. They can really play with your mind, can't they?

I am no pro at giving speeches. In fact, I still have a lot to learn, but, here are a few tips that I did pick up from this experience with a translator.
1. Having a translator is wonderful! While they are translating, you can look at the next couple of sentences/ideas. It slows the speech down so you don't stumble over your notes.  These little breaks really helped my nerves.

2. When writing the speech mark breaks for translation.  This helped remind me to stop after a few sentences, so the translator could do her job. I actually put a colored mark at each place I needed to stop for translation. I know that if you are a pro at speeches with translators, you get the feel for it. But, if you are new at it, the marks are helpful reminders. You don't want to talk to long because your translator might have to ask you to repeat what you said because it was too much information.

3. Using notes vs. written out speech.  I think this really depends on the style of the person. Most speech givers will tell you to use notes to help you remember key points. And I think that is probably the best method.  But, with a translator, they may want to know more of what you are going to say than just notes. It depends on how comfortable your translator is. I used my written out speech because I was terrified and new to this.

4. Adjusting length.  If you do use a translator, then you have to remember to double the time you think your speech will be. If  you think your speech is a 30 min. speech. Then with a translator, it is probably closer to an hour.  So remember to adjust accordingly.

Like I said, I'm  not a pro. I don't think speech/talk giving is in my future. But, if God leads to me speak again than I will obey.

WiP (Work in Progress)
Hmm, sad to say but I've not edited one thing. I'm feeling the "bored out of my mind" disease that I have read about. It is time to just "get er done".  But, I'm not going to feel guilty about it. I did write a speech, so writing wasn't all lost, right?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're not the kind of speech giver that interrupts the translator to start your next thought? My uncle always spoke like that - I always thought it was funny.

I had to give a presentation last year - the time went by so fast and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. So glad you had a good experience!

Jackee said...

WTG! That is so awesome that you got to do that with your husband. I've never used an interpreter in a speech, but I loved your advice. Will have to return to your post if I ever do. Cheers!

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

It sounds like you got a lot accomplished MaDonna. Don't feel about about those edits. I've listened to many speeches with translators, but never actually given one. I'm sure it's challenging! But I'm also sure you guys did a great job. :)

Amy

MaDonna Maurer said...

Thanks all for the encouraging words. I'm now loosing my voice and am so thankful that it came after the speech!

Jenny said...

I was thinking I'd like a translator for reason #1 before I read what you wrote. Good job giving a speech. May I never have to. :)

MaDonna Maurer said...

That's funny Jenny...great minds think alike?