Wednesday, December 29, 2010

QBR....Christmas Break Book Wrapup

I read a little over the Christmas break. What else to do when most of the family is too sick to go out and enjoy the beautiful weather we've been having. Not complaining. Not complaining. I did get in a nice bike ride yesterday with Ge Ge and a great walk in this morning with a good friend and Jie Jie in her stroller.
Anyway, back to books....


The hunger games by suzanne collins free giveawayImage by GoodNCrazy via Flickr
1. Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I'll do these together since they are the first two books in the trilogy.  Katniss is a young girl chosen to "play" in the Hunger Games, a reality TV series that watches children (12-18) kill each other. I know sounds morbid...and trust me, I was a bit nervous even starting this series. But, found them to concentrate more on the relationships and the bigger problem then the actual "hunt". There are some pretty descriptive parts, but none seem forced or overboard, in my opinion.   I did a longer review for Catching Fire on FiG. To read more click here.

Cover of "Wart"Cover of Wart
2. Wart by Anna Myers. From the front of the book, "Will Wart's witch of a teacher turn him into a star....or a frog?"  Not a book that I would have chosen for pleasure, cause it's not my favorite genre. I read it for the school library and didn't find it to be that great.



3. Civil War Spies: Behind Enemy Lines by Camilla J. Wilson.  Another book I pre-read for the library. If you are looking for information on the Civil War, this is a great book. Seven different spies are looked at in this short easy-to-read book. Loved that you could just skip around and not read in order...great research book or for those more interested in learning about people who fought during the Civil War.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: