Monday, June 7, 2010

Lessons from Esther

The "Esther" Girls

This past school year my Bible Study group finished "Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman" by Beth Moore.
"The whole school year? Isn't that study like 9-10 weeks?" I hear the questions coming from those die-hard Beth Moore fans.
Yes, to both of those questions.
But, I love it that we took a 9 week Bible study and turned it into a 9 month one. We broke up the weeks into months, so that we had time to finish it and watched the videos together. If you've never had the chance to do one of Beth's studies this one is really good. Any of them are great, but I really enjoyed this one.

Anyway, here are a few of the lessons that I gleamed from the life of Esther...I'll only give a few from the end of the study, otherwise, I will just be writing her study (and like I have time to do that, right? NOT!).

1. "God has my lot secure."
Esther 3:7 lets us know that a lot was cast to determine the date when all the Jews were to be annihilated; but in Esther 9:22 we see that the tables were turned..."sorrow was turned to joy and their mourning into a day of celebration."
Psalm 16:5 says, "LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure."
Just as God had the Jews' lot secure, he has mine as well. So, whatever comes my way, He will give me what is needed....He is not surprised or shocked....He has it held together. As a mother of a special needs child, this truth keeps me sane...because God not only has my lot secure, he has Matthea's lot secure as well.

2. "Beauty in God's realm is not a treatment. It is a destiny." Beth Moore
Esther 2:12 we see that they girls had to undergo a 12 month beauty cycle before they were allowed to see the king. Beauty is all about looks...not much has changed since the days of the Persians, eh? Just look at any magazine in the world. I was reminded of this fact as I sat at a beauty salon a few months ago to get my hair washed. I was given a Chinese magazine and, of course, couldn't read it. BUT, it didn't matter. I saw the beautiful, the glamorous, the knock-out bod on each magazine.
God is more worried about our character than our body. Although, he does want us to take care of our bodies properly.
Ecc. 3:11 says, "He has made everything beautiful in its time." That includes you and me.
But, this got me to thinking about my other daughter who will be a fashion police in about another six months time, I'm sure. A 6 year old fashion police is a very scary thing to have in your home...trust me. Especially when fashion is NOT your strong point.
But, seriously, it made me think about what she watches and sees on TV...do the characters care too much about their looks? Do their body types look like the norm or like the super-star bods that we all desire to have? What about what she sees from me?
She IS only five...but I want her to grow up with a healthy outlook of her own body and more importantly to care about her own character....that she would desire to be like Christ.


OK, so here's a question for you....
If you've done a Beth Moore study, which was your favorite?
AND/OR
What have you learned lately from studying the Bible?