Friday, March 19, 2010

Cat or Rat....

A few days ago I witnessed the murder of a rat by a cat.....

It was outside our city apartment building. I saw the cat pounce on the rat in the street. After a few seconds of the death grip, he leaped towards us with the rat in it's mouth. Fortunately, he went into an opening between buildings and not into our building. (or too close to me and Matthea)

This scene though has been playing in my mind. It got me thinking about life and how sometimes I feel like I'm the rat and life is the cat. Life is pouncing on me and draining the flow of any energy out of me. You know those times when your plate is full and you just can't add anymore to it, then someone comes along and asks if you could do them a favor. Or when life just throws you a curve ball and you were expecting a change up. For example, last night was one of those nights. I woke up to Matthea having a very high fever. My mind raced back to six years ago when she was hospitalized because of pneumonia. We've been feeding her by mouth for about a month and fear of aspiration was at a high for this mother last night. There have been no other signs up. In fact, we are to see the doctor on Monday about taking it out...

Other times I feel like the cat pouncing on life....I can take anything on. And sometimes, I find things to take on. I want to feel like this all the time. Let nothing bother me, not have any worries, to just totally trust God in all things.....

Recently, I've been reading Joyce Meyer's devotional book, New Day, New You. And yesterday was perfect for answering this question of why I don't....We should seek God "as if you were desperate all the time and then you won't find yourself desperate as often in reality." I don't "seek" God desperately all the time. And seeking doesn't mean to just look for it....it means to "pursue, crave, and go after with all your might."

"Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking and the door will be opened to you." Matthew 7:7

So how are you feeling today....like the cat or the rat/mouse?